Human Foods That Are Toxic To Pets

 

Our  four legged friends bring companionship and joy to our daily

lives. Many times we try to bond by offering food and treats.

While this is fine, if one is not careful, one might get in trouble.

 

Did you know that many of the foods that we enjoy and consider

healthy may be dangerous and toxic to our four legged friends?

 

Grapes and Raisins

We enjoy eating fresh fruit, but did you know that grapes and raisins

are toxic?  Both of these foods have been shown to cause kidney

failure.  Some pets seem to be more sensitive than others. The

chemical  that causes this is unknown, which makes it even more

problematic.  The first symptoms, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy

may begin within 12 hours.  Without adequate veterinary care,

kidney failure develop and may be irreversible and lead to death.

So the next time Fluffy or Rex begs at the table, resist the temptation,

play it safe.

 

Avocados

Ingesting large amounts of avocado flesh or peel, though not life

threatening, can cause discomfort and distress.  The most common

symptom seen is gastrointestinal distress.  Also, ingestion of the

avocado pit can cause a dangerous intestinal obstruction.

 

Garlic and Onions

Garlic and onions are extremely toxic.  They contain compounds

that  damage the animal’s red blood cells.  Due to their strong flavor,

most pets will not eat large amounts of these when raw, but other

forms can be a problem.  These may be in the form of garlic or onion

powder and soup mixes containing dehydrated onions or garlic.  The

first signs of intoxication are lethargy, weakness and reluctance to

move.  As the  condition progresses, the urine will have an orange

color.  Immediate medical attention is very important.

 

If you suspect that your pet had ingested something that may be

toxic, or even if you are unsure if it is toxic, call your veterinarian or

the  Pet Poison Helpline at 1-800-213-6680.

Comments are closed.

Facebook